Wednesday 4 November 2009

He said, she said

I'm considering abandoning online conversations over IM programmes unless either absolutely necessary or for quick communication such as confirming a time/place situation, because time and time again I find that they often lead to misunderstandings and unnecessary hassles.

Due to the lack of tone and expression it's very easy to misinterpret messages and trying to explain what you actually meant is another hurdle in itself because you often encounter the same problems. So perhaps I'll give myself a break from instant messaging for a while and see how that goes; after all, if someone wants to get in touch with me they can call!

4 comments:

  1. Giannella D.19:14

    I tend to agree with you on the most part, I stopped conversing on IM some time ago and now I just use it for the basics, i.e. sharing links / sending short messages. Infact I find IM only essential for this kind of stuff; once it gets replaced by something better (hint, hint .. google wave) I'm sure it will be out for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still getting used to Google Wave; however I claim that a phone conversation where you can hear the person's voice is better. Obviously meeting people in person is still No.1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with what you said. Many times I ended in an argument with someone just because they thought I was angry or sarcastic. I'm very blunt in real life, on IM I just appear like I'm pissed off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup completely agreed. plus i havent had the patience to sit down and have a long online chat in a while now. there are certain people who are the exception to the rule, but generally i dont bother

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog. I look forward to your comments - let me know what you think :)

FYI: Comments are moderated