Thursday 10 November 2005

The medium is the message

Found it today's The Times
Personal
In grateful acknowledgment to God for favours received through the intercession of St Jude.
O Holy St Jude, apostle and martyr, great in virtue and rich in miracles, near kinsman of Jesus Christ, faithful intercessor of all who invoke you, special patron in time of need, to you I have recourse from the depths of my heart and humbly beg you whom God has given such great power, to come to my assistance. Help me now in my present and urgent need and grant my earnest petition. In return I promise to make your name known and cause you to be invoked. Three Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glorias. St Jude, pray for us and all who honour and invoke your aid. Amen. I have had my request granted.


I read something like this and ask myself why someone would thank God on a form of print media. I'm sure God would have been just as satisfied had he/she closed her eyes, bowed his/her head and said a prayer in thanks. What is the need to go public with such personal issues; 1) his/her religious beliefs and 2) the supposed grant from above of his/her request.

So if this request wasn't granted what would this person have done. Been mad at God for ignoring him/her, or accepted the fact that maybe it 'wasn't God's will'?

Apparentely there's a resurgence in people's religious beliefs all over the world. Probably people just figure that they may as well try and have faith in something bigger than themselves cos the world isn't doing much good working alone. I just hope that God reads 'The Times'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog. I look forward to your comments - let me know what you think :)

FYI: Comments are moderated